Sarah Bennett has been practicing law for more than 40 years. She is one of the state’s most peer-recognized lawyers: named Best Lawyer’s Santa Fe Family Lawyer of the Year in 2019 and 2012 and a Southwest Super Lawyer since that year; listed in Best Lawyers since 2003 and in Martindale-Hubbell’s Bar Registers of Preeminent Attorneys and Preeminent Women Attorneys since 2001. The better part of Ms. Bennett’s law career has been affiliated with Rothstein Donatelli, a large firm with multiple practice areas. Prior to specializing in family law, Ms. Bennett litigated a wide variety of civil and criminal cases and argued appellate cases before New Mexico courts and the United States Supreme Court in complex issues related to state taxation of multinational corporations.
For many years, Ms. Bennett served as Rothstein Donatelli’s sole family law attorney. Her decision to create Walther Bennett Mayo Honeycutt with David Walther in 2017 allows her to work with a group of lawyers concentrating solely on family law, and to work as part of an experienced team tackling challenging family law issues. A significant component of Ms. Bennett’s practice over the last decade has been Collaborative Divorce, and she is committed to the principles of respectful, dignified resolution of all family law matters. In 2016, working on the Supreme Court Domestic Relations Rules Committee, Ms. Bennett was instrumental in obtaining adoption of the Uniform Collaborative Law Rules in New Mexico. She also regularly volunteers at Resolution Day and other judicially-sanctioned pro bono programs. Sarah has lived and practiced law in New Mexico since 1975.
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section
- State Bar of New Mexico, Family Law Section
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- New Mexico Collaborative Practice Group
- Santa Fe Collaborative Practice Group
- Northern New Mexico Collaborative Divorce Alliance
- New Mexico Supreme Court Domestic Relations Rules Committee
- First Judicial District Bar Association
- Oliver Seth American Inn of Court, Master of the Bench
- State Bar of New Mexico
- State Courts of New Mexico
- United States Supreme Court
- University of Texas at Austin, TX, Juris Doctor
- University of Texas at Austin, TX, B.A.