Amber Macias-Mayo has been working in family law for 20 years, and more than 10 of those have been spent working under David Walther. But Ms. Macias-Mayo started learning the law on the ground floor as a legal assistant and worked her way up: paralegal, college, law school, law clerk and finally, lawyer, admitted to the New Mexico Bar. Her experience has given her an appreciation of the profession from all sides and she maintains a perspective on family law that reflects a deep knowledge of its details.
At David Walther Law, Ms. Macias-Mayo spearheaded many of the innovative approaches for dealing with the massive amounts of documentation required in financially and geographically complex cases. She is one of the key strategists on the team, enamored of puzzling out a way to success. Ms. Macias-Mayo has been successful in resolving complex, deeply emotional issues through settlement; however, she is also a highly effective litigator at ease with the precision demanded by litigation and at home in the courtroom.
Ms. Macias-Mayo is a home grown New Mexican lawyer who brings to the practice an understanding and a deep appreciation for our state’s culture. She is active in her community, including volunteering her time to represent individuals pro bono with family law disputes, and mediating family law disputes for parties disputes who do not have the benefit of counsel. She was instrumental in establishing an animal welfare court in Bernalillo County, which creates a safer environment not only for domestic animals but also for children and victims of domestic abuse, as domestic and animal abuse often co-occur.
- American Journal of Family Law, Vol 33-No.2-Summer 2019: Plowing the Landscape of Terror
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section
- State Bar of New Mexico, Family Law Section
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- New Mexico Hispanic Bar Association
- First Judicial District Bar Association
- Santa Fe Estate Planning Council
- Second Judicial District Bar Association
- State Bar of New Mexico
- State Courts of New Mexico
- United States District Court for the District of New Mexico
- University of New Mexico School of Law, NM, Juris Doctor
- University of New Mexico, NM, B.A.
- Albuquerque Business First 40 Under 40 Honoree
- New Mexico Hispanic Bar Association, Vice President, 2017-2018
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Region XV Deputy President, 2015-2017
- New Mexico Hispanic Bar Association, at Large Executive Committee 2016-2017
- Solare Collegiate Founding Board Member